Influenza Virus Net is the web resource for anyone interested in influenza and flu pandemics. Influenza, commonly referred to as the flu, is an infectious disease caused by RNA viruses of the family Orthomyxoviridae (the influenza viruses), that affects humans, birds and other mammals. The virus spreads easily from person to person. Influenza circulates worldwide and can affect anybody in any age group. Influenza causes annual epidemics that peak during winter in temperate regions. Influenza is a serious public health problem that causes severe illnesses and deaths for higher risk populations. The most common symptoms of the disease are chills, fever, sore throat, muscle pains, severe headache, coughing, weakness/fatigue and general discomfort. Sore throat, fever and coughs are the most frequent symptoms. In more serious cases, influenza causes pneumonia, which can be fatal, particularly for the young and the elderly. An influenza epidemic can take an economic toll through lost workforce productivity, and strain health services. Vaccination is the most effective way to prevent infection.
The objectives of Influenza Virus Net are to be the public and professional information resource for influenza and to serve as a network in the exchange of information and news related to influenza.
- Fairbury Student Does Not Have Influenza, Instead HIB
Fri, 19 Oct 2018 15:10 GMT
- 80000 Americans died of the flu last winter. Get your flu shot.
Fri, 19 Oct 2018 13:35 GMT
- Novel DNA vaccine offers broad protection against Influenza-A H3N
Fri, 19 Oct 2018 09:40 GMT
- Seqirus Cell-based Influenza Vaccine Nears European Approval
Fri, 19 Oct 2018 12:27 GMT
- Several Influenza Deaths in US, Including One Child, as Flu Season Begins
Wed, 17 Oct 2018 16:26 GMT
- 100 years ago in Spokane: Growing influenza crisis creates demand for able nurses
Fri, 19 Oct 2018 07:02 GMT
- Preparing for influenza this winter, 2018–2019
Mon, 15 Oct 2018 15:16 GMT
- Florida flu death: Unvaccinated child dies from Influenza B
Tue, 16 Oct 2018 15:52 GMT
- WHO Casts Spotlight on Influenza
Tue, 16 Oct 2018 20:00 GMT
- Novel DNA vaccine design offers broad protection against influenza-A H3N2
Thu, 18 Oct 2018 16:23 GMT
- The Pharmacist's Role in the Fight Against Influenza
Mon, 15 Oct 2018 20:58 GMT
- Parents Skeptical of Flu Shot, Think It Causes Influenza
Fri, 19 Oct 2018 16:08 GMT
- How to encourage influenza vaccination in primary care
Wed, 17 Oct 2018 11:02 GMT
- In flu epidemic, vaccinating at pharmacies could save $100 billion
Fri, 19 Oct 2018 17:06 GMT
- Influenza: are we ready?
Fri, 12 Oct 2018 13:43 GMT
- PRO/AH/EDR> Avian influenza, human (18): China (GD) H5N6
Wed, 03 Oct 2018 05:37:20 -0400
Avian Influenza H5N6 -- China
The Centre for Health Protection (CHP) of the Department of Health (DH) today (30 Sep 2018) received notification of an additional human case of avian influenza A(H5N6) in Guangdong from the National Health Commission, and again urged the public to maintain strict personal, food and environmental hygiene both locally and during travel.
The case involved a 22 year old man from Guangzhou in Guangdong. He developed symptoms on 25 Sep 2018 and was hospitalised on the next day. He is now in a